Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Week of firsts...

Hey everyone! this past week has brought a whirlwind of emotions. Most of which can be attributed to the so many "firsts" in my life...

Railroad Station, Downtown Budapest
- first time living in a foreign country
- first time using public transportation as my main mode of getting around (being that all the signs are in               Hungarian doesn't make it much easier lol)
- first time signing a lease & living in an apartment in a foreign place
- first time scouting churches & youth groups
- first time intentionally relating to students while having to deal with a language barrier

These firsts are both exciting and super challenging for me, but the fact of the matter is I see God working in these instances... which makes the discomfort, insecurities, or the inadequacies I feel at times well worth it.

Our first week in Budapest started off with Rob sending us off to explore... lets just say by the end of this we will all be experts on how public transportation should and shouldn't be used.  On the tram we got talking with a guy who attends university here in Budapest, he was super helpful.  We got talking about Christianity, and he confidently boasted that he was a Christian and that everyone in Budapest was...this was shocking to hear, I instantly & prematurely began questioning myself, wondering what I was doing here.  Then, I asked him where he went to church, and he said, "No, I don't believe in that."

This was super sad to hear, and after talking with several other nationals here in Hungary, they told me that this a common theme across the country... This instance cries out the need for the authentic identity one can only find in Christ here in Eastern Europe.  It also got me thinking to back home and how often we label ourselves into a group or belief and their is no real substance behind it.

On a lighter note, the next couple of days we were able to attend youth groups and churches in and around the city.  I witnessed a thriving youth ministry that finds itself in the heart of the city, and it was awesome to see young people enthusiastic about their faith.

Austin Elkins and I on Sunday morning journeyed to a church on the outskirts of the city.  The way the people invited us in and showed us hospitality was amazing.  This was most apparent when the pastors wife to have lunch with her and her three kids.  It was so apparent that by no means were they wealthy or had tons of food, but she displayed care and love for us that made her seem oblivious to their current situation.  We had a great time eating and hanging out with them for the afternoon which involved playing games with the kids and Austin playing piano with them.

Yesterday we took a much needed relaxing day in which we hung out around town and get better acquainted with these people here that so desperately need God's love in their lives.

Prayer Requests:

- Intentionally seeking out and starting relationships from scratch can be exhausting.  If you could pray that I turn to God for strength that would be amazing

- I am taking public transportation around 3 hours a day, would pray that God would bring forth instances where I can relate to youth during these commutes and that I would be aware of these situations in the moment and act on them, that would be great.

- Pray for continued unity and clear communication among our team!

Thank you so much for your support and prayers, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers also!
Miss you all,
Marc

-

1 comment:

  1. Man, what great experiences. We are praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete