Friday, August 17, 2012

Community & Care


Hey All,

Hope and pray all is well back home! Lots has happened over the last week and a half, and I can't wait to catch you up.  But before I do, I just wanted to tell you how much your prayers and support mean to me.  It is so encouraging hear from you, and knowing that your participating in this adventure with me helps to spur me on.

As I mentioned in my previous entry, we were invited to a local church's outreach event at a local park, which was run by its youth group.  The outreach was a four night event, two of which we were able to attend.  It was so invigorating to see a community of people that were willing to look outside of their church walls and meet the needs of people in their neighborhoods.  The event was carried out with very little structured programs, rather it allowed time for people to intentionally seek out others for the sake of the gospel.  It was a blast being able to connect with the youth from this church and to see them serve their community.  At the end of each evening one of the students would share their testimony, and  this was immediately followed by meaningful conversations with those from the community.  It was so fun to hear how God had transformed the lives of these youth, and to see a group of people that visibly cared deeply for one another.

Furthermore, we were able to spend another weekend with the group from Veszprem!!! The weekend began at Lake Balaton, which involved sunburns, more langos, and greased-watermelon-ultimate (feel free to inquire of the latter).  Being able to build upon these relationships was encouraging to say the least.  Immediately after we all spent the evening at the associate pastor's house for supper, which was, no joke, a giant cauldron of sausage and beans stew.  It was delicious!  Several couples from the church joined us for dinner, and immediately we could see a culture of deep intentionality and community.

The couples from the church graciously invited us to stay in their homes.  Austin, Eric, and I had the privilege of staying in a young couples apartment with them. Instantly I felt cared for and loved on by this couple, who undoubtedly have the gift of hospitality mastered.  Plus, she made some bomb cookies!!!

The following morning church was held in the middle of a forest.  There we were, a community of believers from opposite ends of the earth, studying God's word and worshipping Him through music.  Definitely a memory I will cherish.  After the service we shared communion together, as well as a scrumptious potluck.  My eyes were opened to group of people who so deeply love one another and so deeply love God.  The values of community and care were so prevalent that just being able to witness it was an honor.

In my experiences with camps, feelings of exhaustion, wanting some alone time, and sleep are usually the top three things on my mind, and you may be able to empathize.  However, not so after this weekend.  My soul felt energized from this group of believers.  I can't wait for further interactions with them.

Sadly, the week ended with saying goodbye to our fellow lady interns.  Our last days together were spent debriefing what God had done this summer and envisioning what His plan are for a people that so desperately needs HIs love.  Our final night together we spent time affirming one another and worshiping our Savior in song.  Doing this while overlooking the breathtaking city of Budapest was not bad either.  That being said, having an opportunity to run the race with these ladies was a honor.

God has been teaching me so much about leaning on others for support and the importance of having a core community of believers.  So many times in my walk with Christ I try to do things all by myself, and God has been convicting me of this.  My pride and selfishness get in the way of why he created me in the first place; To be in a loving relationship with Him, and as a result a loving relationship with those around me.    

Looking ahead to the fall;  We are hoping to solidify position in schools where we can teach or tutor students in english.  Each of us are hoping to find a home church to build relationships with.  Our research project will hopefully be in full swing, and the prospect students being back in school only makes me more optimistic.  Eric and I are hoping to build the foundations to a soccer ministry, and hopefully do a little of playing ball ourselves.

Your prayers in these areas so very appreciated!!! Feel free to contact me on either Facebook or my email: marcmeland@gmail.com, I would love to hear from you.

Philippians 1:3 "I thank my God every time I remember you."

   -Marc

No comments:

Post a Comment