Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Crazy days...


Hello Friends & Family,

Here we are in the last month of my time in Central Europe, and things are busier now than ever before.  I admit my time here seems quite paradoxical; without a doubt it has flown by so quickly that it is hard to believe that it is almost over.  In contradiction to my previous statement support raising, summer camps with the crews from Veszprem and Slovenia, and scouting in Austria seem like distant memories.  God has done so much here in Central Europe. I am constantly amazed by God and more fervently leaning into his faithfulness and provision.  Even more so, I am moving forward with excitement to see God work here in Hungary this next month and for years to come.  Your prayers are coveted now more than ever and I am ever gracious for your love and support.

Hike overlooking Budapest!

The beginning of October brought forth the opportunity for me to attend my home church’s, Budafolk Baptist’s, annual retreat.  The retreat was located at a small resort called Zanka, just off the coast of Lake Balaton.  Zanka was built by the communist regime in Hungary as a resort town for it’s prominent public figures and their families.  Nowadays, it has been renovated, but the communist block architecture and motifs are still present.  A place that was once used by those who instilled control and oppression, was now being used by those who desire freedom. that can only be found in Jesus Christ. I had previously missed the deadline to attend the retreat, but a friend from the church pulled some strings so I could go.  Not knowing what to expect from the weekend, I soon found myself constantly blown away by the love of these caring people.  

God provided in so many ways that weekend: 1) a friend, (with whom I now play soccer with on a weekly basis), his wife, and two sons, who provided me with transportation to and from Zanka; 2) numerous families who shared their meals with me (the ladies from the church made so many yummy pastries that I thought I had gone to heaven (not that heaven is a pastry shop, lol)); 3) several translators, who graciously and selflessly gave their time, and 4) a loving community, which was rejuvenating to me.

In addition, on the last evening of the retreat, all of the youth and their leaders got together and we worshipped God through music.  It was so much fun to worship our Creator with a bunch of people who passionately love Him.  One memory that I will remember for a long time was during the worship, a young boy, probably around the age of 8, was playing the bongos.  He possessed neither skills, nor experience on them, rather he was making a joyful noise to God in the best way he knew how, and no one in the room seemed bothered by his playing, rather, everyone was joining in worship.  

Time and again, I come to God feeling like I need to do something or bring something of worth.  Worshipping that night with the group from Budafolk and seeing the young boy play the bongos was a reminder to me that God desires us and we are to come to Him surrendering who we are with a childlike faith.  

I have absolutely treasured my time getting to know my church family here in Budapest!  They have been kind and hospitable, have opened up their homes and their hearts, and I am grateful for their love. God has been faithful to provide for my needs, and I could make a long list of the different areas He has displayed this.  One unexpected need that I didn’t anticipate in coming here is the need for being around families; God has provided this to great extents!

The weeks since the retreat have been quite eventful as well.  I mentioned in my last post that we are now connected to a local high school.  This high school is one of the top schools in Hungary, and many of the students speak English.  God’s handiwork is being made apparent each and every time we go there.  Thus far, we have been going into classes, and the teachers have asked that we speak conversational English with the students.  We are now in contact with several teachers at the school, including the head of the English department.  They have expressed the need for us to come in and talk with their students, which is a great way for us to learn more about the Hungarian culture.  

Additionally, this has been a great avenue for the team to interview for our research project.  After showing the interview procedures to a teacher and the head of the English department, they gave us the go ahead to interview students.  Praise God!!! The teacher previously mentioned, is one with whom we have the best relationship.  We go in her classroom once a week and do conversational English with her students which has been a highlight of my weeks! A couple of weeks ago, she agreed to let us interview students during class; afterwards, she was very interested in how it went.  I forgot to mention, that she expressed being a fellow believer and is quite open about us sharing the Gospel with her students (YAY!).  I am blown away that we are able to interview students, but even more so, that we have the green light to share the Gospel with them; this would most likely not fly in the public school system in America.

For Halloween we were able to get together with the guys from Veszprem!  We had an especially fun time hanging out, playing cards, and going on a random hike to nowhere (where we found an amazing view of the city).  Getting to know these young men has been one of my high points over the past 6 months, and it will make saying good bye difficult.  

This past weekend I was able to participate in a day hike with the youth from the church I attend! We had an amazing time struggling to get to the lookout spot, largely due to the muddy paths.  Afterward, we shared in a Hungarian campfire tradition: a huge slab of bacon, an onion, and a sausage on a stick; it makes for a savory and greasy goodness!  I plan to bring this tradition back to the States because it is absolutely delicious!    

Praises:
- For the open doors at schools & the tremendous opportunities that it brings.
- For God’s provision for my needs, both the expected and unexpected ones.
- For the new relationships made at my church.
- For the quality time with guys from Veszprem.

Prayer Requests:
- For upcoming interviews: That the team would meet its goal of 30 interviews collectively, and that we are able to share the Gospel with students.
- For strength and energy for the last month in Hungary.

Thank you all for your love and support; it means so much to me.  Feel free to comment or email me with your thoughts.  I would love to hear from you.
God Bless,
Marc 

5 comments:

  1. Marc it was great getting an update on here! It sounds like there are a lot of really super exciting things happening! I will definitely keep you in my prayers as you finish out your time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marc! I appreciate it a lot!

      Delete
    2. Ha I didn't even realize that you posted on this today too Marc J! gosh I miss you guys. you both rock.

      Delete
  2. So good to hear more of what God is doing in you and through you Marc. I admire your faith, your pursuit to be more like Christ in everything you do. Reading your blog posts is always so encouraging to me! I pray for you constantly and I am so thankful for the rockin man you are. All those guys from Vezprem you have been able to hang out with are lucky guys! I miss you Marc and I am unbelievably excited to see you in January!!!
    Thanks again for your posts, your friends and family (I clump myself with your family) love reading them!
    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron! It is a privilege to have your love and support! See you in January brother!

      Delete